FAPE in the Time of COVID Social Distancing Webinar
School closures due to COVID-19 are raising serious and immediate legal questions with respect to students with disabilities. Veteran school attorney Jose Martin will address the USDOE and TEA guidance on the topic, including:
- equal access to alternative remote educational activities
- process requirements with respect to ARD committee action to implement alternate activities
- options other than in-person ARD committee meetings, potential use of ARD amendment process
- prior written notice requirements, attempting continuity of implementation of IEPs and 504 plans through alternate educational activities
- related services issues, including the potential for teletherapy provision of some related services
- the issue of timelines on pending initial evaluations and reevaluations
- the need to address potential compensatory services obligations as schools resume regular operations.
In addition, the discussion will cover civil rights guidance on COVID school closures and alternate activities, FERPA implications involving COVID, and the feasibility of procedural and substantive compliance with IDEA and §504 requirements if school closures must persist on a longer term, suggested notices to parents of students with disabilities, and other emerging issues. Questions are encouraged.
So, how do these Webinars work?
Great question. If you’d like to attend, push the add to cart button next to the webinar description (under the presenter's photo). If you want to register for multiple people, utilize the toggle on the cart button to show the number of registrations you’d like to create. Next, scroll down to the buyer and attendee information grids and supply the needed info.
Please note, the name and email for each attendee is critical as passwords for the webinar are unique to each participant. Following payment, you will see a screen providing purchase receipt information. Print a copy for your records. When the registrations are received and processed at CESD, each participant will receive an email with login instructions and a unique password for the Webinar. Check out the other important and instructions as you scroll down to the cart.
What do I need to connect to the Webinar?
You will need the email confirmation that includes the link to the webinar, together with your unique password that you received shortly after registering. You can utilize any device that can access the web (tablet, laptop, Mac/PC or smart phone. You will have the opportunity to ask questions via chat, and can download the powerpoint during the event as well.
Any terms, conditions or other lawyerly stuff?
Absolutely. CESD Webinars are subject to the following:
- Registration is made by credit card only. No purchase orders, checks, or cash payments are permitted. Don’t even get us started about Bitcoin.
- No cancellations or refunds. If you are unable to join us on the day of the livestreaming webinar, you will have the opportunity to view the recording at a later time. An email with details on how to view the webinar if you missed it will be sent following the live event. No registrations will be refunded.
- No substitutions. To protect the integrity of the registration process, and due to the availability of a recording following the live event, no substitution of attendees is permitted.
- The webinar is not legal advice. The webinar provides information about the law. Even though a lawyer (or two) may be presenting and discussing law, agency guidance and current issues, the webinar, the powerpoint presentation and audience-presenter interaction (via chat, video or audio) does not create an attorney-client relationship with any webinar participant. For legal questions about a particular set of facts, talk to your school attorney.